Friday, April 18, 2008

Going Green


I would have to say that living in Oregon has made us pretty 'green' anyway, and while we haven't used plastic bags in awhile, I hated the random assortment of canvas ones that floated around in the back of the trunk. Time for an update! Ok I realize we are talking groceries here, but really if you saw them you would agree they needed some style added. If you are going to carry them around they may as well look nice and be functional. Enter my new grocery bags. I made my own pattern but if you want to make your own you can find a free tutorial and pattern here Burda Charlie Bag. I lined my bags to give them more support and durability since I wanted to use quilting weight cottons. However, a canvas or other sturdy fabric could be used unlined.
Urban Chiks from Moda and Michael Millers ironwork were the fabrics used for my bags. And they even have their own carry bag to keep them neat when not in use and floating around in my car. Now I need to make another pack to keep in hubby's car.

2 comments:

Robin said...

those are cool Caroline!
Fashion to the grocery store :)
One thing I like about the bags I have is that they have a carry strap long enough that I can wear it over my shoulder. Less trips to and from the car as I can carry more!

jillytacy said...

Your bags look great. Reusable shopping bags are on my list of things to do. I'm trying to be a bit more green and use less plastic. I created a tutorial for reusable snack bags and matching napkins for my daughter's snack at preschool. Now if I could only get my shopping bags sewn!